Au Marché

What I got at the market:

1 peach

Olives

Strawberries

2 bars of soap (one is goat’s milk, one is verbena)

4 interviews

I would say it was a success.

The second we turned the corner outside of the hotel, a long lively and winding market place came into view. Hundreds of people, tourists and locals, filled the roads, exploring the cobblestone streets. The shopkeepers were selling a wide variety of products, anything from delicious fresh fruits to tiny alpaca figurines. The shopkeepers were unbelievably kind and patient even when my attempts to speak French didn’t go so well.

Probably one of my favorite parts of the market was interacting with the shopkeepers through interviews I am conducting for my project for this trip. My project is to conduct interviews, asking French people what historical event they believe has influenced their country and its people the most and why, and finally compile these interviews into a video. Hopefully after these interviews, I will have a clearer picture of what it means to be French and what has created this rich culture. Before this market place, I did not have too much success with my interviews; either the people couldn’t understand my question or they did not want to be videotaped. I was surprised because out of the five attempted interviews, four of them were successful. So far, the majority of the people responded with the French revolution as the most influential event, and I think this reflects the magnitude of which the French people value their freedom. After all, it’s in France’s motto, “liberté, égalité, fraternité” (liberty, equality, fraternity).