A moveable feast

“If you are lucky enough to [go to] Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast.” – Ernest Hemingway

After only a couple of days to appreciate the beauty of Paris and all that it has to offer, I must concur with Ernest Hemingway.  Even though his recollection of memories of Paris was derived from his time living in the city from 1921 to 1926, his description of the experience remains timeless.  From the moment that we arrived in Paris, I was immediately enthralled by the different pace of the people of Paris and the classic design of the city.  In comparison, American cities seemed much too fast and significantly younger.  When we began visiting the numerous landmarks in Paris, I grew to love Paris even more.  For example, I will never forget the experience of seeing the Eiffel Tower in person for the first time

20140614_050150

or visiting the Piette Room and studying the prehistoric artifacts in the Musèe des Antiquities (Museum of Antiques).  Only in Paris can I silently take in the wonder of the cathedral of Notre Dame

20140612_111001

and look out on the rest of Paris from the rooftop of a castle.

20140613_111329

Here, every smell and sight evokes emotion and allows me to learn from both our planned visits to museums and landmarks and from the casualness of walking down the sidewalk.  We won’t be in Paris for much longer, so my time in this wondrous city is definitely marked.  So when we are forced to leave Paris to continue our journey throughout the rest of France, I will take the lessons that I have learned from Paris and take it with me, as Hemingway would have wanted.  Paris is indeed a moveable feast and I hope to take a small part of it with me wherever I go now.

One thought on “A moveable feast

1. JT, that all sounds fantastic. You are truly on a great adventure that you surely will take with you the rest of your life. Have fun! Please do me a favor, and get your roommate to write a blog post. 🙂 Thanks!