Tomorrow

So, we’re leaving for France. Tomorrow.

I can’t believe that I’m not going to be in the country by tomorrow at 9 pm. I can’t believe that I’m not going to be in Virginia by 9:15 am tomorrow. It hasn’t hit me yet that I’m going to be in a country that isn’t the United States. The most astounding fact is that I’m going to be in a country where the most common language is not my own. And although I’ve been taking French for four years now, I can’t imagine that I’m ready to travel to a country where I have to test my “skills.” And even though, I’ve gotten honors in French, I’m not ready.

Another thing is that I haven’t packed yet. All of my stuff is still sitting on the buffet in my dining room. I’m not ready to pack – I spent all of last week packing up my entire dorm room and I’m not ready to leave home again. Of course I want to go to France, but I also want to sit in my room, listening to music and watching movies. And I’m not ready to leave my family again after only 5 days. I hadn’t seen them for a substantial amount of time for 3 months and now, I’m about to hop on a plane and travel 4000 miles (I checked) to a country that they know nothing about, except what they hear in the news and watch in movies.

Speaking of movies, yesterday while my mom was cooking dinner, my dad decided that it was appropriate for us to watch Taken, which, if you don’t know, is about a teenager and her friend who get kidnapped in France and sold into prostitution. And, although this movie is the source of the line, “I will find you. And I will kill you” (which is hilariously used in memes all the time) I learned many important lessons. First, don’t talk to strange men in France. Second, don’t give people your address. Third, don’t get on Liam Neeson’s bad side (he’ll probably shoot you or your spouse). And finally,  listen to your parents (in particular, your dad).

So in conclusion, I have realized that I’m not ready to leave home or go to France (both mentally and physically). I have also realized that Liam Neeson has a weird accent and I’m smarter than those to girls in that movie.

Oh, I almost forgot. I wanted to tell you all about my project. I have decided on a historical project that compares and contrasts the differences in art or architecture (not quite sure yet) between the Renaissance and Medieval periods in France. I think that I’m going to present my project with photos and information about the art and architecture we see from those periods while we’re in France.

One thought on “Tomorrow

1. …love your reference to the movie Taken. Your post had me in stitches. Good Luck on your project, sounds interesting. BTW, I’m Michaela’s Aunt.